Saturday, December 16, 2006

How we decide on what to eat.


Actually this is quite hard. How do we, as a family think about and decide about what we want to eat? And when? What time? And how will we plan it so that the food arrives on the table at a time we all want to eat, but also meets demands for a senior teenager's need to get out and hit the streets with his mates?

Tonight it's not too hard. My senior teen was out all last night although staying with mates (causing maximum anxiety for my beloved wife who lay awake worrying about him) so he is likely to stay in tonight and eat A LOT and if he does go out this evening it won't be for long. So actually, deciding on the food we'll eat tonight isn't too hard - I'll decide because senior kid is too tired and the other two (wife and daughter) are glued to the TV with him so it's down to me. Har Har.

Meantime I am knocking up a meal which is a recipe-of-my-own I haven't done before. It's a mild, I suppose Korma type of curry with salmon instead of the chicken called for in the original recipe. I thought about it this morning and fancied a mild curry but without the chicken - besides, buying chicken breasts for one meal is ridiculously expensive. So I prepared the sauce, - 4 tablespoons of mayo, two of plain yoghurt, and other stuff you'll have to ask me about because I've got to go and cook it in a few minutes. But it does involve Mango Chutney and interestingly, apricot jam. So there.

It will be easy though. I have poached the salmon fillets earleir which were skinned, in milk spiced with pepper and a Bay leaf. When they softened but still had a little bite to them, (i.e. not horribly soft) I put them to one side and let them cool.

I'm going to gently boil some rice then warm the sauce. On warm plates I'll then put rice, chunks of salmon and pour over the sauce and serve to the table. I've already made a salad of Little Gem lettuce, sliced tomato, coriander and red onion which will go on the side. Lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home