Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Why adventures in home cooking?

I'm 49 years old, a bloke and I have eaten a lot. Some of it I cooked myself, some of it cooked by friends and family, some by people I have never met and some who cook for a living in restaurants, takeways and fastfood places. Mostly I have enjoyed the experience, sometimes I have needed to leave the room or the meal or both, but I do love to eat and cook.

This blog is about the domestic side of cooking and eating. I have huge respect for many professional cooks/chefs/cooking writers who've turned their hands and their careers in to brilliant cookbooks or TV shows or both or brands or - I don't know, all of the above and more. Some of them - Jamie Oliver, Rick Stein, the sainted Delia (no surname required for that brand name) have helped me enormously as I have stumbled through the lifelong art or science of learning to cook. But I somehow feel that many professional cooks forget that the rest of us cook quickly, between the demands of family, work, tiredness and so on and don't cook for a living.

Also my Mother and father. My mother - still with us at 82 is a great cook and taught me a lot of the basics - how to cook chips (fries) in a deep golden oil and that neat trick of drying them quickly in kitchen paper and popping them back in to the smokingly hot oil for a few minutes so they come out with crisp outsides, floury on the inside and delcious. I used to ring her when I was a student nurse:

Me: 'Mum? How do you roast a chicken?'
Her? Provides instant verbal recipe and advice which I write down and bloody hell! It works.

My dad just liked to eat - a lot, and taught us to love food too. Lucky us.

So this blog is about food, eating, families and friends, some recipes and I hope over-all a chance for others to enjoy and share in meals. Especially to escape the tyranny of food fads and nutritional Nazis. Yes... it is ok to buy a readymade meal at the supermarket every now and then or eat Pizza or whatever. And it's also nice to get home and cook a simple, delicious meal from scratch in 30 minutes. It's a blast to spend all day shopping, preparing and cooking a meal for those special friends and, when it works ok seeing them appreciate the tastes, textures and sheer yumminess of it all. But, if you haven't got the time or the money to do that - and I didn't at one time (note the earlier reference to being a student nurse) then I hope you'll find stuff in here which will help you eat reasonably cheaply and well. It's also about cock-ups, sauce exploding and dribbling down the kitchen wall, a terminal inability to poach eggs and my dog who is a gourmet Lurcher and loves the leftovers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home